The European Parliament Interest Group on Allergy and Asthma is a policy forum to share expertise and align interests engaging with EU policy-makers and stakeholders on allergy and asthma health. We believe in evidence-based and patient-centred policies. Therefore, we provide reliable data for evidence-based policy making so that allergy and asthma are on the political agenda of the EU as the high-prevalence chronic diseases they are.
The Interest Group (IG) is an informal group of MEPs committed to policy actions to address unmet needs of allergy and asthma at EU level. It serves as a forum to share expertise and align interests engaging with relevant EU policymakers and stakeholders on allergy and asthma health. It strives to be a source of good data for evidence-based policy making.
The Interest Group on Allergy and Asthma is meant to serve as a unifying platform in a heterogenous environment and wishes to:
- Contribute to EU policies on chronic diseases to reflect the needs of allergy and asthma patients and better prevent these diseases
- Improve EU policies against outdoor air pollution and promote action to tackle indoor pollution
- Foster European research in environmental health, with an emphasis on unmet needs of allergy and asthma research
- Inform on action needed on labelling of chemicals and allergens in consumer products
- Facilitate the exchange of best healthcare practices and recognition of Allergology as a full medical specialty across the EU, otherwise patients with allergy and asthma will not receive adequate treatment
The Interest Group is chaired by MEP Sirpa Pietikainen and co-chaired by MEP Nessa Childers. The Secretariat of the Interest Group on Allergy and Asthma is led by EAACI in partnership with the European Federation of Allergy and Airways Diseases Patients’ Associations (EFA) and is working closely to voice the needs of people living with allergy and asthma.
Do you want to support the Interest Group on Allergies and Asthma?
Contact Bénédicte Faure at EAACI EU Liaison Office if you are interested in supporting the group.
EAACI – EU Liaison Office
Rue du Luxembourg, 22-24
Tel : +32 (02) 761 66 83
Mobile: +32 (0) 494 23 10 55
Learn more about the EP Interest Group on Allergy and Asthma
Visit the website