EAACI European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology
EAACI Interest Group Drug Allergy report of 2008
President (Antonino Romano), Secretary (Knut Brockow)
Summary of Current Activities and Future Plans:
1. Multicenter studies:
- Two studies are undergoing: Allergic reactions to radio contrast media (K Brockow) and oxaliplatin desensitization protocol (Mauro Pagani).
- The WONDA-IMI project did not raise enough interest from the industry and was not pre-selected. However, in terms of pharmacovigilance and pharmacoepidemiology, we were successful and were entered to the EMEA PROTECT network. EMEA will get back to us soon.
- de Weck AL, Sanz ML, Gamboa PM, Aberer W, Bienvenu J, Blanca M, Demoly P, Ebo DG, Mayorga L, Monneret G, Sainte-Laudy J. Diagnostic Tests Based on Human Basophils: More Potentials and Perspectives than Pitfalls. Intern Arch Allergy Immunol 2008;146:177-189.
- Demoly P, Pichler W, Pirmohamed M, Romano A. Important questions in Allergy: 1- Drug allergy/hypersensitivity. Allergy 2008 ; 63: 616-619
- K. Brockow, A. Romano, W. Aberer, A.J. Bircher, A. Barbaud, P. Bonadonna, E. Faria, G. Kanny, M. Lerch, W.J. Pichler, J. Ring, J. Rodrigues Cernadas, E. Tomaz, P. Demoly, C. Christiansen. Skin testing in patients with hypersensitivity reactions to iodinated contrast media – a European multicenter study. Allergy. 2008 in press.
- Blanca M, Romano A, Torres MJ, Férnandez J, Mayorga C, Rodriguez J, Demoly P, Bosquet PJ, Merk HF, Sanz ML, Ott H, Atanaskoviæ-Markoviæ M, and ENDA members. Update on the evaluation of hypersensitivity reactions to betalactams. Allergy 2008 in press
- A 2-day autumn (Sep 28th-29th2007) Meeting was held in Verona organized by Patrizia Bonadonna.
- The 3rd International Drug Hypersensitivity Meeting was held in Paris, 11-13 April 2008 organized by Pascal Demoly and Jean-Claude Roujeau. 278 scientists from 30 different countries attended the meeting. DHM is now an EAACI brand. DHM4 will be held in Rome (Antonino Romano) 22-25 April 2010
- At the last annual EAACI Barcelona congress on June 6th 2008 an interest group meeting was held with presentation of new data and organisational matters. In addition, the drug hypersensitivity interest group business meeting took place on June 9th 2008.
4. Summer school: - A planned Summer School in Malaga had to be cancelled. Efforts will be put to organize another one in a near future.
5. Task forces:
- Desensitization protocols have been collected and reviewed. Proposals of desensitization protocols for immediate hypersensitivity reactions have been written, discussed, amended (Meeting in Porto, 17th -18th July organized by Josefina Rodrigues) and will be discussed at the next autumn meeting before submission. Desensitization protocols and procedures for non-immediate drug hypersensitivity will be written and discussed.
- An update has been composed on the evaluation of hypersensitivity reactions to betalactams, one meeting was held in Malaga, and data will be published in Allergy.
6. Future Plans:
- To hold a Summer School on drug hypersensitivity EAACI-GA2LEN Allergy School, Garda Lake (Italy) 2009 “Allergic reactions to drugs, from the bedside to the bench” 24th to 28th June 2009 organized by Patrizia Bonadonna and Mauro Pagani.
- To develop a new task force on skin test concentration in drug hypersensitivity (Knut Brockow, submitted).
- To publish desensitization protocols for immediate hypersensitivity reactions (Josefina Rodrigues).
- To write desensitization protocols for non-immediate hypersensitivity reactions (Andreas Bircher, Josefina Rodrigues).
- To organize the Autumn meeting in Mantova, Italy (Oct 24th -25th 2008).
- To participate to the Warshaw EAACI 2009 meeting (proposals sent on time) and to the London EAACI 2010 meeting (proposals will be sent).
- To organize the next International Drug Hypersensitivity Meeting in 2010 in Rome (Antonino Romano).
Summary of Action Items Needing ExCom Approval:
- To develop a new task force on skin test concentration in drug hypersensitivity (Knut Brockow, submitted)
- To receive monetary support to be able to hold a summer school on drug hypersensitivity: EAACI-GA2LEN Allergy School, Garda Lake (Italy) 2009 “Allergic reactions to drugs, from the bedside to the bench” 24th to 28th June 2009.