BIBLIOGRAPHY UPDATES IN ALLERGOLOGY
The Monthly choice
Claude MOLINA* and Jacques GAYRAUD**
1. Biologic targeted therapy in allergic asthma
2. Home indoor Moisture and Allergy
3. Beneficial role for supplemental Vit D3 treatment in chronic urticaria
4. Traffic-related air pollution and airways hyper responsiveness
5. Perinatal safety of Long Acting β2 Agonists and Inhaled Corticosteroids use during pregnancy
1. Biologic targeted therapy in allergic asthmaItem: Therapy
Key words: Biologic targeted therapy – Allergic asthma
In a comprehensive review of the recent literature, illustrated by a suggestive table, J.B. Bice & al (Annals of Allergy, Asthma Immunology 2014 112 108-115), draw up a list of the therapies targeted at major immunologic pathways (approximately 30 drugs and dozens in development, predominantly monoclonal antibodies) through IgE, IL4, IL5, IL 13, TNFα, Toll-like receptors 7 and 9, Prostaglandin D2 Chemo-attractant Receptor: CR Th2 and D Prostanoid Receptor DP 1. Efficacy and costs of these agents are discussed.
2. Home indoor Moisture and AllergyItem: Allergen
Key words: Indoor moisture, Allergy
(M.Choi et al. Indoor Air 14 March 2014 on-line).
A study of relationship between residential cultivable fungi, ( 1-3, 1-6)-β-d-glucan and ergosterol concentrations, in dust samples of child’s bedroom in the home of 198 multiple allergy case children and 202 controls, completed by parent or inspector-reported home dampness, did not show any significant differences. The association between asthma, rhinitis or eczema and home indoor fungi remains controversial.
3. Beneficial role for supplemental Vit D3 treatment in chronic urticariaItem: Skin allergy - Urticaria
Key words: Vit D3 – Chronic urticaria
(A.Rorie et al: Annals of Allergy Asthma Immunol.2014 March in press).
In a randomized study, high doses of Vit D3 (4000UI/d) for 12 weeks in 42 patients provided by standardized triple drug therapy, demonstrate a significant decrease in a severity score and could be considered as a safe and beneficial immune modulator.
4. Traffic-related air pollution and airways hyper responsivenessItem: Respiratory allergy
Key words: Traffic roads – Air pollution – Airways Hyper Responsiveness – TH17 – IL17
(Byoung - Ju-Kim et al JACI 15 March 2014 in press).
In a prospective epidemiologic study which concerns 1340 Korean children, the authors found that the rates of new airways hyper reactivity and increased airways response are higher in children residing closer to traffic roads. In the same issue (Ichiro Inoue JACI in press) a Japanese team evokes the key role of IL 17 A and TH 17 cells in diesel exhaust particle mediated severe allergic asthma, already mentioned by Brandt et al (JACI Nov 2013 132 1 194-204).
We must however recall that all new cars are now equipped with filters of great efficacy.
5. Perinatal safety of Long Acting β2Agonists and Inhaled Corticosteroids use during pregnancyItem: Therapy
Key words: Pregnancy – Long Acting 2 Agonists – Inhaled Corticosteroids
(B. Cossette et al Annals of Allergy Asthma Immunology 2014 April in press).
There is no statistical differences for low birth weight, preterm birth or gestational age newborns, between asthmatic women exposed to LABA or ICS whatever the choice for one over the other preferred medication within each class.
Cl. MolinaAnalysis and comments in French are available on www.cefcap.com
Last updated 31 October 2014