Chronic respiratory diseases (including respiratory allergy, asthma and COPD) account for more than 315,000 Europeans dying every year and cost the European economies over EUR 300 billion annually.
EAACI has joined forces with EFA, ERS, ELF, IPCRG, ENSP, PHA Europe, HEAL and EPF and asks Members of European Parliament to take action now by signing the Written Declaration on Chronic Respiratory Diseases (WD 115/2016).
The Written Declaration is a statement, which calls the European Council and the Commission to act for better Prevention, Diagnosis, Care and Rehabilitation in Chronic Respiratory Diseases and more specifically it calls for:
- Decreasing the economic burden of chronic respiratory diseases on national healthcare systems, and ensuring a high level of protection of citizens’ health;
- Boosting research on the causes of chronic respiratory diseases and
- Sharing best practices and studying the possibility of a comprehensive strategy for meeting the challenges posed by chronic respiratory diseases.
The declaration has the possibility of giving further political recognition to chronic respiratory diseases including respiratory allergy and asthma and could help foster coordinated actions on the topic between Member States as well as more fund for research.
To be adopted, the declaration has to be signed by the majority of all Members of European Parliament (376 MEPs out of 751) within 3 months. To realise this objective, we very need your help to incite national MEPs to sign.
What you can do:
- Check who has signed the declaration to see if your MEP is already a supporter
- If not, in two clicks you can find your MEP at the European Parliament Website
- Send an email to your MEP asking to sign the written declaration 115/2016 on chronic respiratory diseases
- Tweet your MEP with the #BreatheMission hashtag, asking to sign the written declaration 115/2016 on chronic respiratory diseases
Thank you for your support!
Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions.
Last updated 20 April 2017