Keynote addresses included:
- Professor Antonella Muraro (President of EAACI) who reiterated that success in tackling the allergy crisis in Europe requires partnerships between all interested stakeholders and continuous collaborations in EU actions at policy level;
- MEP Sirpa Pietikaïnen (Chair of the European Parliament Interest Group on allergy and asthma) who highlighted the need for comprehensive EU-wide programmes on allergy and asthma building on existing national and regional best practices;
- Stefan Schreck (European Commission) who reminded that the Commission sees a clear added-value in having all Member States working together on chronic diseases at EU level, and hence will continue supporting such policy dialogue, where allergy and asthma should naturally be included;
- Professor Sergio Bonini (EMA) who stressed the importance of developing facilitated pathways for marketing authorisations of allergen product and to distinguish between allergen products used for in vivo diagnostics and products for allergen immunotherapy;
- Michele Antonelli (European Biopharmaceutical Entreprises & Stallergenes Greer) who confirmed the industry’s support to the development of precision medicine (PM) in allergy.
The moderated discussion was then the occasion for participants to hold fruitful discussions with the contribution of patient representatives from EAACI Patient Organisations Committee and EFA.
The 2016 high-level event was a successful step in the further engagement of the EAACI network in a dialogue to foster partnerships and collaboration between EU policy-making bodies and interested stakeholders to address allergy and asthma as part of the EU health and research policy actions.
You can read the full event report here, you can see the event agenda here and all pictures here.
Last updated 01 December 2016