EAACI Junior Members & Affiliates (JMA)
General Assembly (BM) Minutes
Participants: EAACI JMA, EAACI members, EAACI Executive Committee members, London 2010 Congress President, Pediatric Allergy and Immunology Editor and JMA working group:
CS: Chrysanthi Skevaki (Chairperson)
EH: Enrico Heffler (Ashtma Section Representative)
LH: Lilit Hovhannisyan (Dermatology Section Representative)
MR: Michael Rudenko (ENT Section Representative)
MS: Milena Sokolowska (Immunology Section Representative)
MH: Mara Hatzipsalti (Paediatrics Section Representative)
RRA: Rodrigo Rodrigues Alves (Webmaster)
1) CASE REPORTS’ PRESENTATIONTwo JMAs who accidentally had not been announced to present their abstract during the JMA Case Reports Session (because their names were not included in the official, final scientific program), were provided the opportunity to present their case reports during the JMA BM and were eligible for winning respective prizes.
2) JMA ACHIEVEMENTS 2009-2010: A STORY OF SUCCESSCS:
- main JMA achievements in the last year were: New Identity, Strong Membership, Organizing Activities, Fellowships, Travel Grants, Online education, Practical Courses, Questionnaires, etc
3) NEWS FROM THE EXECUTIVE COMMITEECS:
- the next EAACI President has been elected: Cezmi Akdis, who is also strongly supporting JMA activities;
- in order to involve more JMAs in EAACI activities and structures, both candidates for the position of the next EAACI President proposed to include one JMA representative in each Interest Group (IG);
- CS has participated in the TF BM and convinced the majority of TF Chairs to include 1-2 JMA in each TF since JMA comprise over a third of the Academy’s entire membership, they are extremely active scientifically, the process of a TF is highly educational and JMA can help disseminate the generated information.
- EAACI is developing an online, open-access journal, and some JMAs will be included in the editorial board.
4) REPORTS FROM THE SECTIONS
EH (Asthma Section):The Asthma Section Board has an extra budget of 25000 Euros and they are willing to spend it mostly to involve JMAs in the Section’s activities; therefore:
- 10 travel grants (500 Euros/each) will be funded for Asthma-Section JMAs who will submit an abstract to the Sardinian Allergy School (9-12th September – Costa Rei, close to Cagliari);
- 20 travel grants (500 Euros/each) will be funded for Asthma-Section JMAs who will submit an abstract to the ERAM/SERIN meeting (4-6th November – Brussels).
JMAs are also invited to take actively part to the TFs on subjects related to Asthma: “PRACTALL – Pediatric Asthma”, “Work related asthma” and “Lifestyle interventions in allergy and asthma”.
The Asthma Section Board set up a deadline to submit proposals for the EAACI 2012 Congress that will be held in Geneva (Switzerland): 20th of August; all Asthma-Section’s JMAs are therefore invited to submit their proposals to EH.
The Asthma Section Board intends to propose:
- a session entirely carried out by JMAs (all chairpersons and speakers will be JMAs);
- Postgraduate Courses (PGC) targeted and at least partially carried out by JMAs;
- Practical Courses (PrC) organized by Asthma Section JMAs.
LH (Dermatology Section):Dermatology Section organized a successful Allergy School on “Allergy and the Skin: what’s new?” in Norwich (UK), 23-25th July 2009, and 18th Congress of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venerology (EADV) in Berlin (Germany), 7-11th October 2009. In 2010 there will be a Mini-Congress organized by the Dermatology Section: “Skin Allergy Meeting – SAM” in Venice (Italy), 11-13th November.
The Section discussed about proposals for Istanbul EAACI Congress 2011.
The following task forces are planned:
• Patch testing
• Allergic contact dermatitis
• Autoimmune urticaria.
MR (ENT Section):In November there will be a Mini Congress organized by the ENT Section in conjunction with the Asthma Section: ERAM/SERIN, 4-6th November – Brussels.
The ENT Section is proposing an Allergy School on Allergic and Non-allergic Rhinitis that will probably be held in Croatia.
MS (Immunology Section):In 2009 there was a successful Allergy School organized by the Immunology Section: “Basic Immunology Research in Allergy and Clinical Immunology”, 11-14th February 2009.
PGCs proposed by the Immunology Section and taken place during London EAACI Congress 2010 were equally successful with about 30 participants each.
MH (Paediatric Section):The Paediatric Section will organize a “Paediatric Asthma Meeting”, probably in Venice, November 2011, and the Section Board members discussed about proposals on JMA activities during this event: some JMA will probably be involved as speakers.
The Paediatric Section endorses an Allergy School that will be held in Kusadasi (Turkey), 30th September – 3rd October, about “Diagnostic approaches to the allergic patient”.
Several TFs are running within the Paediatric Section:
- Revised PRACTALL on Pediatric Asthma
- Paediatric Rhinitis
- Skin Allergy
- Drug induced anaphylaxis
>RRA (Webmaster):The EAACI website has been completely redesigned, and a brand new website on Allergy News has been launched.
The educational content on the EAACI website will continue to be enriched.
All JMAs are invited to contribute to the website.
5) EVALUATION OF LONDON 2010 JMA ACTIVITIESAll activities were quite successful and well participated.
6) SUGGESTIONS FOR ISTANBUL 2011 ACTIVITIESCS:
- there is still some room left for PGCs and Meet the Professor sessions; the deadline to submit proposal is 1st of July.
7) JMAs & OTHER FUTURE EAACI ACTIVITIESCS:
During 2010 the following Allergy Schools will occur:
- 25-28th June 2010 – Athens (Greece) – “Allergy in different systems”
- 26-29th August 2010 – Vilnius (Lithuania) – “Evaluation and monitoring of inflammation in allergic diseases”
- 9-12th September 2010 – Costa Rei, Cagliari coast, Sardinia (Italy) – “Lifestyle intervention in allergy and asthma”
- 30th September – 3rd October 2010 – Kusadasi (Turkey) – “Diagnostic approaches to the allergic patient”
- 21-23rd October 2010 – Berlin (Germany) – “Allergy and immunotherapy”
8) AWARDS (POSTERS & CASE REPORTS)Prizes were handed out by Chrysanthi Skevaki (JMA Chairperson), Anthony Frew (Congress President EAACI 2010), Jan Lotvall (EAACI President) and Jonas Lidholm (Phadia representative).
Rodrigo Rodrigues Alves
EAACI JMA webmaster
EAACI JMA webmaster